About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $22 billion, over 70,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer by being the world leader in serving science. We help our customers solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, accelerate life sciences research, and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
This role will report directly to Divisional IP Counsel and support analytical instrumentation technology platforms and related products and services.
What will you do?
You will be an essential member of a small international group of attorneys, patent agents and support personnel responsible for intellectual property matters, for the Materials and Structural Analysis Division of Thermo Fisher Scientific. This division houses the recently acquired electron microscopy business whose technology is key for the semiconductor industry, materials sciences investigation and Nobel-winning techniques in the life sciences (Cryo-EM).
Principal activities and tasks include the following:
Securing patent protection for inventions developed at Thermo Fisher Scientific, including drafting applications and Office Action responses, developing strategies for identifying and capturing high-value IP
- Providing product clearance opinions and advising R&D staff regarding design-around activities;
- Advising and educating internal clients regarding IP-related issues, including new developments in laws and policies.
- B.S. or advanced degree (preferred) in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related fields.
- USPTO registration.
- Minimum of three years post registration hands-on U.S. patent preparation and prosecution experience in law firm or in-house corporate setting.
- Demonstrated experience with international patent prosecution activities, preferably including the EPO and/or China.
- Demonstrated ability to independently draft new patent applications covering complex technologies
- Office position based in Hillsboro, OR. Some travel to other sites in the U.S. or elsewhere may be required.
- Strong knowledge of scientific instrumentation; industry.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Associated topics: client, customer, court, courtroom, criminal law, firm, lawyer, law firm, legal, legal firm