Job Title: SENIOR CoNTRACTS ASSOCIATE - LEGAL TRANSACTIONS Department: Legal
Pharmacyclics is seeking an energetic and creative contracts associate who enjoys learning new things in an exciting and fast-paced environment to join our growing internal Legal Department.
Pharmacyclics, a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV), is focused on developing and commercializing innovative small-molecule drugs for the treatment of cancer and immune-mediated diseases. Pharmacyclics' mission is to develop and commercialize novel therapies intended to improve quality of life, increase duration of life and resolve serious unmet medical needs. Pharmacyclics markets IMBRUVICA and has three product candidates in clinical development and several preclinical molecules in lead optimization. Pharmacyclics is committed to high standards of ethics, scientific rigor and operational efficiency as it moves each of these programs toward commercialization.
AbbVie is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. AbbVie employs approximately 28,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Senior Contracts Associate, as a member of the Legal Transactions Group, is responsible for negotiating and executing a variety of company agreements. The ideal candidate must be energized by working in a complex and fast-paced environment, and be able to quickly understand and support business objectives with sound and ethical judgment. Specifically, Senior Contracts Associate will:
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of clinical development, R&D related, operations and commercial agreements
- Independently support contract needs of assigned business departments and act as the primary liaison for agreements between business and legal departments
- Manage agreements from start to finish including logging and updating contract management system for agreements. Ensure that agreements are timely reviewed and handled, and all agreement records are accurately maintained in contract management system
- Arrange and conduct meetings with senior leaders and business stakeholders to understand business priorities; to provide update on the status of assigned agreements; and to respond to inquiries related to agreements including contractual terms. Provide training to business stakeholders on company policies and processes relevant to agreements.
- Work cross functionally with various departments to resolve issues related to contracting and support cross-functional initiatives
- Support the continuous improvement of templates, playbooks and workflow processes
- Perform administrative functions including: scheduling meetings/conference calls, maintaining departmental files (electronic or otherwise), managing contract documentation flow and ongoing maintenance of the contract management system utilized by company
- May oversee work of junior associates, including reviewing agreements and advising on contractual provisions.
- Understand and effectively use Microsoft Office Suite, Apttus and other business-specific software
Develop knowledge of Pharmacyclics' business and supported client areas
Comply with all laws, regulations and policies that govern the company business ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Pharmacyclics Head of Legal Transactions and other members of the Legal Transactions Group as needed.
- Have extensive contract management experience
- Have strong communication skills to effectively gather relevant information from business groups and interact and negotiate with others, both internal and external.
- Have strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain strong positive relationships with business stakeholders, including senior leaders.
- Have strong writing and analytical skills to independently draft, review, negotiate and revise agreements
- Have high attention to detail, strong organizational, project management and multitasking skills to manage multiple matters, to independently set own work priorities and to meet required work deadlines
- Be able to perform independent analysis of unique problems of increasing complexity and diversity, and propose solutions to attorney or supervisor as needed
- Have flexibility to take on special projects and/or additional responsibilities as needed
- Any people management experience is a plus.
Minimum 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or ABA approved Paralegal Certificate.
- Experience with pharmaceutical/biotech companies and/or academic institutions is preferred, but not required.
- JD or educational background in applicable scientific field is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled