Sr. Director, IT - Biosciences Division
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
What will you do?
This challenging and highly visible position is responsible for developing and executing effective information technology strategies across all segments of the Biosciences Division (BID). The candidate will be a key member of the BID leadership team to execute the Divisional IT strategy, automate and drive efficiencies, provide IT Program/Project management, and ensure implementation and maintenance of infrastructure and application systems. In addition, the candidate will interface with their key IT partners in shared services to assure ongoing divisional support. Must be the IT liaison and expert with whom the BID community can contact for IT direction and must be able to advise BID leadership on global IT standards, processes, and strategies that are an appropriate fit for their business imperatives.
- In conjunction with Biosciences and IT leadership, establish the long-term IT strategy for the division, provides high-level technology roadmap alignment; acts as a champion for cross-business group projects
- Establish and communicate annual plans, objectives and budgets and monitor their accomplishment
- Oversee and advise on the evaluation of near and longer term needs of the division and establish priorities and identify resources for the team
- Acts with urgency to implement solutions to meet business objectives
- Makes educated, informed decisions to help drive the IT function
- Takes a personal commitment and demonstrates ownership and accountability for the Biosciences IT roadmap, projects and execution
- Establish and manage IT programs that enable the key business needs as agreed to with Business and IT leadership
- Direct staff in developing work plans for feasibility studies and systems development and implementation
- Review and approve proposed budgets and timelines. Select, develop and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function
- Advise subordinate managers and others to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget according to the agreed upon scope
- Ensure development activities are executed in accordance with internal IT policies and methodologies, and when appropriate, in accordance with regulatory compliance guidelines
- Facilitates employee development through creation of goals, setting expectations, giving performance feedback, and providing development opportunities
- Coordinate the activities of the Division with other IT areas so that service integration is ensured
- Select, oversee and manage consultants, contractors and vendors and related contracts as appropriate in accordance with internal policies
- Continually assess departmental policies, functional requirements, techniques and controls. Implement process improvements as needed
- Advise customers and train staff accordingly
- Leads the development of new concepts and makes the final decision on administrative or operational matters to ensure effective achievement of objectives
- Has control over planning, staffing, budgeting, managing priorities and recommending and implementing changes to methods
How will you get there?
- Bachelor s Degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science (or a related discipline, or the equivalent knowledge and experience) is required
- M.B.A. or graduate school preferred
- Background in Chemistry, Biology or the Life Sciences industry preferred
- Requires 10+ years of experience in IT with a breadth of knowledge across the IT discipline including infrastructure, applications, and project management
- Requires 8+ years proven project management and project management methodology experience, including technology delivery methods
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong business and IT acumen
- Has broad IT technical knowledge/experience and the ability to understand the division s business objectives and related IT needs
- This position interacts with all levels of personnel internally and externally requiring the ability to communicate IT strategies, objectives and policies verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a highly matrixed environment
- Strong negotiation and communication skills
- Ability to speak effectively and articulate company value proposition with executive level contacts
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Associated topics: chief executive, chief executive officer, chief information officer, chief technology officer, co founder, director, president, senior director, vice president