Manage all Staff Counsel activities relating to the defense of lawsuits against Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance insureds in liability suits, and on behalf of Ameriprise, in courts of limited and unlimited jurisdiction.
This is a Virtual based (Remote) opportunity. Seeking candidates in Southern California (Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, etc).Responsibilities
- Manage all assigned litigated matters within the practice and protocol as established per the case handling guidelines as directed by home office.
- Renders opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the claims department.
- Researches laws and prepares legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda
- Provide updates for Property Casualty personnel regarding changes in litigation.
- Provide legal support to various business units as required.
- Maintain all requirements for practice of law in good standing including licensing and Continuing Legal Education (CLE).
- Travel to and attend trials, hearings, arbitrations, depositions, management meetings and other relevant conferences requiring in-person attendance.
- Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions, and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory CLE requirements where applicable.
- Must have at least 10 years of experience in insurance defense or personal injury litigation, preferably in California, and demonstrated sufficient trial experience as the attorney with primary trial responsibilities in cases of significant severity and complexity.
- Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited to attending trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and case conferences.
- Must be able to use a keyboard and mouse.
- Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
- Substantial prior trial experience, including trial experience as first-chair counsel, is preferred.
Associated topics: child custody, client, courtroom, criminal law, legal, legal firm, legal office, litigate, litigating, litigation attorney